Crab Ceviche Tacos: From Sea to Table
Live crabs freak me out a little bit. The thought of capturing crabs, gutting them, and getting their meat was slightly nauseating to me... until I realized I could make delicious ceviche tacos!
So technically, ceviche is seafood cured with citrus, like lemon juice. The crabs we will be preparing are boiled, but the end result will still have the tangy taste of ceviche.
How much time does it take?
If you're doing the farm/sea to table thing, it takes 1/2 a day.
If you have the crab in hand, but it needs to be cooked & clean, it takes 1.5- 2 hrs.
If someone has kindly brought you the cooked & cleaned crab, it takes 30- 45 minutes.
I recently discovered Amazon Fresh, which is an awesome way to get groceries delivered if you hate grocery shopping (not me). Also, it's relatively inexpensive. While I rack up a mad bill at Whole Foods, you can enjoy the luxury of not having to leave your house and getting cheaper groceries.
1 Bunch of Cilantro
1 Bag of Carrot, Cabbage, Red Cabbage Slaw (Not coleslaw with the mayo and stuff. Just regular, dry slaw)
1 Bunch of Radishes (I didn't realize that radishes barely have a taste. I always assumed they were tangy, since people tend to pickle them.)
1 Vine Ripe Tomato
1/2 Red Onion
1 almost ripe Mango
Tortillas - the ones I linked to are bomb.
1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
h... and the crab
- Cook & clean your Dungeness crab. When you boil them, there's a whistling noise that is the steam going through their shells. It sounds like they're screaming. It's awful.
- Dice tomatoes, mangoes, and red onion.
- Cut radishes in thin slices and set them in bowl with 1 tbsp of lime juice.
- Chop cilantro.
- Mix tomatoes, mangoes, red onion, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, 2 tbsp lime juice, and 1/2 cup of cilantro in bowl. This is your mango salsa - perfect for the summer time.
- If you'd like your mango salsa to be spicy, add a bit of finely chopped jalapeno. A BIT- don't add the whole thing as it might become inedible.
- Mix slaw with 1 tbsp of lemon juice and set in bowl.
- Heat up tortilla in pan until soft on both side.
- Add hefty scoop of mango salsa, a scoop of slaw slaw, a handful of sliced radish, and a copious amount of crab to a tortilla.
- Sprinkle cilantro and squeeze some lime juice on top.
- Wish yourself a Happy Taco Tuesday.
- You can also eat this without the tortilla as a healthy crab ceviche salad.
- A creamy cilantro dressing will go well with this.
- Lemon and lime juice are great dressings.
- The riper your mango is, the sweeter the salad will be. (Obviously.)
- Corn/wheat blend tortillas are the yummiest.
If you like this recipe, you should check out these other recipes: