A Packing List for New Campers
Initially, the thought of camping was terrifying. Why would I want to go sleep outdoors on the ground - where there are bugs!?
After many camping trips and a few wilderness meltdowns, I've learned the value of packing certain creature comforts. I mean- I know you're outdoors, but that doesn't mean you have to freeze your butt off.
Here are the most important aspects of camping (from a newbie camper). As long as you have these things, you'll be fine:
- You're warm and comfortable-ish - this post will focus on this
- You have nourishing things to eat and drink - this will be its own post
- You going with responsible people you like / people you could like - I can't help you with this one
Hopefully this post is inspiring - or at least comforting. Take solace! This isn't backpacking- it's car camping! Worse come to worst, you can just curl up in the back of your car.
Here is a camping list that will hopefully mitigate wilderness break downs. I'll admit, this list is geared towards girls. Regardless, it can be used for anyone that is new to camping.
- It really helps if you're going with friends that have camped before & they have some gear, like a tent, a stove, lights, etc.
- You're going in a warm-ish month. This list will no good for for snow camping. Also, I'm not sure if I have interest in snow camping.
- You're going for 2 - 3 nights. You'll need more of the same stuff if you're going for longer.
Rain Jacket - check the weather
Cotton Tank Top - I like Gap's Active Tank
Long Sleeve Shirt - Nike Half Zip
Sweatpants - The North Face Carmen/Aphrodite Pants (discontinued, but here's an alternative)
Leggings (2) - Pearl Izumi Windproof or Nike
Active Shorts - Nike Shorts
3/4 Capri Leggings - Nike
Hiking Shoes/ Something with some traction, no Nike Frees;
Extra Blanket - if you get cold
Gear - you'll probably have to buy this
Sleeping Pad - If you're cheap, I guess you can use a kushy yoga mat, but it's just not the same. You for sure don't want to sleep on the ground though.
Headlamp / Good Quality Lantern - Don't skimp on this. What if you have to go pee in the dark by yourself?
A Board Game you like
A Delicious Bottle of Red Wine
A Good Book
If you go camping and you HATE it, give it another try. You'll like it -I promise. Think of it as a grown up sleep over. Remember how fun sleep overs used to be?
If you liked this post, you're probably a spontaneous adventurer, and will like these posts:
If you came here for the food and were very disappointed, follow me on Pinterest for some meticulously categorized recipes.