Don't tell me the seedy title scare you. This eggplant parm is amazing - and a good sauce makes it so much better.
Ways you can make this super healthy: don't make the angel hair pasta, don't add mozzarella, don't bread your eggplant, and go light on the Parmesan.
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 Field Roast Italian Sausages (or similar)
1 Bunch of Basil
1/2 Cup of Fresh Mozzarella (doesn't need to be exact)
1 Large Can of San Marzano Tomatoes (or similar)- you will rarely see me using a jar of sauce
1/4 Large Onion
1/2 Tbsp Butter
1/4 Cup of Milk
Angel Hair Pasta Package
Good Quality Parmesan - don't cheap out on the crappy stuff
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Add egg and milk to a bowl and whisk until mixed.
3. Add breadcrumbs to a plate.
4.. Take a basting brush and lightly brush eggplant slices with mixture.
5. Set both sides of eggplant on plate and then set on baking pan.
6. Place baking pan in oven for 30 minutes.
1. Add can of San Marzano tomatoes to a sauce pan on medium heat.
2. Chop onion and add to skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil and 1/2 tbsp of butter. (Tomatoes in one pot, onions in the other); Medium-low heat.
3. Mince sausage, chop zucchini and add to sauce pan. (pot with the tomatoes). Remember to mix this from time to time.
4. After onions start to look clear, mince cloves of garlic and add to skillet.
5. Once onions and garlic have browned, add to tomato sauce.
6. Add 0.25 cup of basil and cook until heat has been distributed throughout pot. ~10 mins
While it's cooking, make your angel hair pasta.
1. Follow the instructions on the box...
Putting it together.
1. In a casserole dish, add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom.
2. Add a layer of breaded eggplant.
3. Layer with sauce
4. Chop mozzarella into thin slices and add a layer.
5. Continue layering until you're out of eggplants and cheese. Then, add a layer of basil (0.25 cup).
6. If you have extra sauce, save it to add on top of your dish.
7. Set in oven at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.
8. Top with fresh grated Parmesan.
And the recipe wouldn't be complete without a Vine...